www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Growing Hops

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Growing Hops Empty Growing Hops Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:45 pm

mcfloater

So I've been considering growing my own hops in my wee backyard in Rockaway for a while. I was looking at the cover of Edible Brooklyn (http://www.ediblebrooklyn.com/summer-2010/summer-2010.htm) and now I'm totally stoked because I have the same structure that would be perfect for vines. Is it too late in the season to plant them? If not, any pointers would be great.

2Growing Hops Empty Re: Growing Hops Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

Nothing wrong with planting now to get them in the ground, but don't expect a yield this year unless you manage to get really good rhizomes from a few year old established plant.

BUT, I would recommend getting them going now if you can because then you will have an extra half year already under your belt. Hops plants don't normally produce in their first year anyway.

If I was home I'd post a picture of mine. My first year plant is almost at 15 feet as of yesterday. This rain really helped me out on my watering schedule!

3Growing Hops Empty Re: Growing Hops Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:01 pm

mcfloater

I think that's a great idea! I'm super pumped to get it started. I know I could probably find some online. Do you know of anyone local selling them?

4Growing Hops Empty Re: Growing Hops Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

The shop had a bunch from my friend, but they probably sold out by now. This isn't the best time of the year to find rhizomes.

5Growing Hops Empty Re: Growing Hops Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:45 pm

mcfloater

Noticing that right now. I've looked all over the interwebs and have come up with nada.

6Growing Hops Empty Re: Growing Hops Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Capt. KiRkLeS

Capt. KiRkLeS

If you can't find any this year, don't fret, there is always next season.
This can be a a good time to do some research though. So do some reading bu growings hops really isn't all that difficult, you just need the space.

My first year cascades are growing well, some cones are starting to form already. I dont know how much I'll get from them but hopefully enough for one batch.

Good luck finding rihzomes.

7Growing Hops Empty Re: Growing Hops Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

mcfloater

Good to hear yours are doing well. I've been doing lots of research and I'll be working on a trellis this winter:) Now I need to start looking at which hops to grow. Maybe a kind that can be used across a few different types of beers?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum