www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

New to forums here...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New to forums here... Empty New to forums here... Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm

phattysbox

Hey all!

Just want to chime in to say hello and introduce myself.

Name is Jason, live up the BX, and an avid homebrewer in the NYC scene. Just signed up for the upcoming BK wort competition - hopefully I get picked.

I brew mostly American style ales, but have a pretty weird mix. Recently I've started an interesting Wild Yeast Project on my blog:

www.sciencebrewer.com

Benjamin and Danielle - thanks for starting this forum up! Probably will drop by the store sometime soon.

Jason

2New to forums here... Empty Re: New to forums here... Wed May 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Dimik

Dimik

Sweet!
Hey Jason! Welcome to the forums. It's kinda dead, but maybe we can bring it back to life!
I went over your blog and it looks interesting. Viruses at Columbia huh? Must be dealing a lot with Dr. Racaniello? At least he's the only CU virologist I know hehehe. Met him once...
I'm an undergrad who's graduating next week and then going off for a Molecular Bio PhD at SUNY Downstate. Been interested in virology lately because I spent the last 2 months constructing recombinant baculovirus expression systems as we ran out of our protein, need to express more, and our old virus stocks are no good.
Anyway, good to have you!
You should come over to some homebrew meetings, they're really entertaining and educational. I only go to the one at Beer Table though.

3New to forums here... Empty Re: New to forums here... Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 pm

phattysbox

Dimik wrote:Sweet!
Hey Jason! Welcome to the forums. It's kinda dead, but maybe we can bring it back to life!
I went over your blog and it looks interesting. Viruses at Columbia huh? Must be dealing a lot with Dr. Racaniello? At least he's the only CU virologist I know hehehe. Met him once...
I'm an undergrad who's graduating next week and then going off for a Molecular Bio PhD at SUNY Downstate. Been interested in virology lately because I spent the last 2 months constructing recombinant baculovirus expression systems as we ran out of our protein, need to express more, and our old virus stocks are no good.
Anyway, good to have you!
You should come over to some homebrew meetings, they're really entertaining and educational. I only go to the one at Beer Table though.

Yeah I Dr. Racaniello! As a matter of fact I work in a lab right next to him. I also have appeared on his TWIV talking about XMRV since I worked this dubious virus at one point or another. Right I'm working on a whole genome RNAi screen for genes requried for HIV infection (I work as a postdoc in Dr. Goff's lab), among other homebrewing projects.

I'm already a member of the NYCHBG, but I definitely can make the Beer Table meetups every once in a while. When do they meet?

J

4New to forums here... Empty Re: New to forums here... Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Dimik

Dimik

Whole genome HIV RNAi? That sounds interesting. RNA is the future!
I'm working with human mitochondrial tRNAs for most part - how pathology related mutations affect enzymatic processing in the maturation pathway of those tRNAs. Our lab is hardcore biochem and enzymology so there isn't much equipment to use to play with yeast. Pretty much all we do is in vitro... only use cells for protein expression.
Beer Table meetings are usually last monday of the month.
beertable.com

5New to forums here... Empty Re: New to forums here... Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Dimik

Dimik

By the way, you ever thought of making microbe blends? Like a 2:3:1 mix of brett:lacto:sach for a brew? I'd love to do that, but again, I don't have the equipment to do that.

6New to forums here... Empty Re: New to forums here... Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:45 pm

johnny

Hey, welcome! I work up at Columbia too (doing web stuff for Lamont). We should swap brews some time!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum