www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Local Malt?

+2
bennsonbrau
BrooklynMalting
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Local Malt? Empty Local Malt? Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 pm

BrooklynMalting

Hey all!

I was wondering if any of you brewers use any malt NOT made by one of the few maltsters out there? Made your own?

If not, do you have any interest in making your own or using non-commercial malt?

2Local Malt? Empty Re: Local Malt? Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:30 pm

bennsonbrau

I would love to learn how to. Brooklyn is gonna be the center of craft beer and im willing to invest in making brooklyn the brewing capital of USA. Kinda cheesy but i would love to give it a try.

3Local Malt? Empty Re: Local Malt? Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:03 pm

brooklynhomebrew

brooklynhomebrew
Admin

We will soon be carrying base malts from a somewhat nearby maltster. They are called Valley Malts. They are grown and malted in Massachusetts and are Organic. We are very excited to be working with them! They are super small, so they are primarily doing base malts right now. But if we can support them and help them expand, it will help the brewing community! I should also mention, we would love to support any local maltster that might happen to pop up. Hopefully the Valley Malts base malts will be in and flying out the door before the end of the year!

http://brooklyn-homebrew.com

4Local Malt? Empty Re: Local Malt? Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Dimik

Dimik

I should point out that Organic produce is as real as a 3 dollar bill with Michael Jackson on it, despite what FDA allows. I'm OK with it though.
If someone actually managed to make organic malt, it would look about the size of sesame and would run us at about $15 per lb to cover the costs of production.
But hey, let's support the local dudes. So if you guys start carrying it, I'll be buying it.

5Local Malt? Empty Re: Local Malt? Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:53 pm

ValleyMalt

Hi It's Andrea from ValleyMalt. Just wanted to say hello. Happy to answer any questions about our local organic malt. Happen to be roasting some delicious crystal right now. Keeping an eye on it while posting.

Just as an FYI, we are in Massachusetts but our grains come from NY, VT, MA, ME and NH.

I would also be happy to take a stab at any questions someone may have about our or our farmer's organic growing practices. I get disheartened about the way that organic labeling has gone in the past few years, it is becoming a joke and in fact we are not even bothering with getting a USDA organic label because it just costs too much but there is no doubt that many committed farmers are doing an amazing job of cultivating diverse crops using true organic cultural practices.

Our organic 2-row is over 83% plump, meets all germination, protein, and normal malting barley specs. The beauty of organic grain growing for malt is that protein requirements are low (in fact the lower the better) which means almost no inputs needed if seeded early and rotated properly with other crops such as soybeans.

The beauty of local is you can come visit our fields and see for yourself.

6Local Malt? Empty Re: Local Malt? Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 am

Dimik

Dimik

Cool. I'll be buying some in the next couple of weeks for me next brews.

7Local Malt? Empty Re: Local Malt? Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

What grains to do eventually plan on offering and to what levels of roast? I saw the two-row at BHB yesterday, along with I believe a rye malt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum