www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Fermenter keeps overflowing

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Fermenter keeps overflowing Empty My Fermenter keeps overflowing Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 pm

jtk1130

Hey everyone, i'm new here and just created my first batch yesterday. I definitely have a lot to learn but right now i have one question. My fermenter (5 Gallon Carboy) keeps over flowing through the air lock... is this normal????

2My Fermenter keeps overflowing Empty Re: My Fermenter keeps overflowing Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:44 am

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

What was your batch size? If you made a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, you didn't leave enough headspace for the krausen, which is why this is happening.

Are you familiar with a blow-off tube setup? It won't solve your problem long term, but it will at least salvage this batch.

3My Fermenter keeps overflowing Empty Re: My Fermenter keeps overflowing Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am

jtk1130

Thanks, that's exactly what happened... I bought the essentials kit (which comes with a 5 gallon carboy) with a chocolate stout recipie (which makes 5 gallons... didn't realize that I needed to leave room up top. I ended up attaching a tube to the top of my air lock and submerging it in a bucket with water.. I think ill be ok for now Very Happy

4My Fermenter keeps overflowing Empty Re: My Fermenter keeps overflowing Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:30 pm

tabasco

tabasco

jtk1130 wrote:Thanks, that's exactly what happened... I bought the essentials kit (which comes with a 5 gallon carboy) with a chocolate stout recipie (which makes 5 gallons... didn't realize that I needed to leave room up top. I ended up attaching a tube to the top of my air lock and submerging it in a bucket with water.. I think ill be ok for now Very Happy
What a freakin coincidence. I tried a chocolate oatmeal stout, and it was the first batch I ever did where I had major blow off issues.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]