www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need some advice on using oak chips

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Need some advice on using oak chips Empty Need some advice on using oak chips Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 pm

AstoriaBrewer

Anyone have any experience using oak chips?

I brewed a brown pumpkin ale this weekend, and it will be nearing the end of primary soon. I want to condition this on some bourbon soaked wood chips in secondary and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Batch size is about 3.75 gal. I've got 1-1.5oz of medium toast oak chips soaking in just enough bourbon to cover them. I'm planning on letting them soak in the whiskey for a week, then drain and add to secondary for about a week before bottling. Is that enough time? Or do I need to leave them in for longer/use more chips?

Any advice is much appreciated.

2Need some advice on using oak chips Empty Re: Need some advice on using oak chips Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 am

Capt. KiRkLeS

Capt. KiRkLeS

I'm curious to see how this will come out....as I am doing my first pumpkin this weekend.

3Need some advice on using oak chips Empty Re: Need some advice on using oak chips Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:33 pm

AstoriaBrewer

Mash and boil smelled great! So far the best advice I can give (from my limited experience) is to use plenty of rice hulls in your mash. I had to navigate 2 stuck sparges.

Here's my recipe if you're interested:

4gal batch (sorry for the odd vol, but I use a 2 gal mash tun)

4 lbs 2-row Base Malt
~2lb can of Pumpkin Pie puree
.25 lbs Crystal 40
.125 lbs Black Patent
.5 lbs rice hulls

Single infusion mash at 150F w 6qts H20

3.3 lbs Amber LME
.5 lbs unsulphured molasses
.5 lbs corn sugar

60min: .5oz 5.5%AA Mt. Hood Hops
45min: .25oz 5.5%AA Mt. Hood Hops
30min: .25oz 5.5%AA Mt. Hood Hops