www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:14 pm

mcfloater

I started brewing early this year and each time I make a small mistake, though, so far, each brew has come out great. I thought I was mistake free this time while brewing a pal ale, but alas.....

brew went perfect. fermented for 2 weeks. tested gravity and tasted...yummmm. kegged the biatch and put on my new tap from the lovely folks at brooklyn homebrew. so excited, the next day i went down to the basement to take a look...opened the fridge and the FREAKING ENTIRE KEG HAD LEAKED OUT WHERE THE TAP CONNECTS THE KEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lesson: ALWAY TIGHTEN (and double check) SCREWS ON TAP ATTACHMENTS OR GAS ATTACHMENTS. MAKE SURE THEY'RE TIGHT.

2Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Capt. KiRkLeS

Capt. KiRkLeS

Bummer!!! But at least you learned a lesson and now you have another reason to brew sooner than later. Hope you didn't waste too much $ on it.

3Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm

mcfloater

exactly my friend. already have an IPA fermenting.

no one else has any stupid mistakes they've made we can all learn from?

4Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

Once you get your attention to detail down, you'll do it without even realizing it. I don't even run through the process in my head anymore, it's second nature. You'll get there... keep brewing!

5Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Ouch Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 pm

tabasco

tabasco

That's a bummer losing a batch ... which actually I did once, too. I started last January, too. The first time I tried an all DME batch, I didn't apply enough thought to the water / DME ratio, which I had way too low (not enough water for the boil). I carmelized the extract .... since I had only used HME's before this, I didn't recognize the problem quick enough, and actually stank up the house so bad, I never thought the smell of burned sugar, which is awful, would ever go away. It did.

I never made that mistake again. Now, doing a DME hop boil is treat. I love going from the aroma of steeped grain, to malt, to hops. But I'll never forget that first one, which was a nightmare.

I also like the Northwestern extracts in pouch in box, that BHB sells. Nice.

I'm trying AG in a bag for the first time this weekend let's hope I don't screw it up, but after so many batches of great beer, I figure I know enough to avoid major pitfalls, but who knows? What a Face heh heh.

6Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:12 am

MrManifesto

my first and only fruit beer was in a bottling bucket. the seal broke and started to leak, so i really quick tried to transfer to another bucket. opened it up a week later, frightened, and it was like a solid six inch thick frisbee of mold. instant dumper. bleh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum