www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Contest Win

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First Contest Win Empty First Contest Win Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

I just found out that I won the porter category in the HomebrewTalk.com BJCP-sponsored competition. I was totally surprised that this beer went so far. I won the east category, then sent in another bottle for the combined BOS round and took the category against 3 other porters from the west region. I guess in the end, it's not all about the hops! Laughing

I want to thank Brooklyn Homebrew for carrying Brown Malt. Apparently, it's very hard to get at most LHBS's so when I posted the recipe a few people asked me where I found it and couldn't believe my LHBS carried it regularly. Thanks guys! I really find that brown malt lends an important character to a true porter that no other malt can give.

2First Contest Win Empty Re: First Contest Win Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Dimik

Dimik

Nice dude! Congrats!
Every competition I sent my beers to seems to have incompetent judges so I stopped. Hehe.
Good for ya man!

3First Contest Win Empty Re: First Contest Win Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 am

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

Thanks!

I actually did the same as you until this one. I entered a few in a row two years ago, and was highly discouraged by the wildly conflicting comments. "Too sweet" and "not sweet enough for style" on the same beer by two different judges kinda sealed the deal. I only entered this one because I frequent that site so much. I might enter some local comps every so often after this win.

4First Contest Win Empty Re: First Contest Win Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Dimik

Dimik

Well for me it was "finishes dry with sweet/cloying finish" which doesn't make any sense at all, and "no flavor or aroma flaws" giving me a 36. WTF do you need to get into 40s then?!
I think we all got "too hoppy/not hoppy, sweet/not sweet" etc. I even had a point taken off for a tripel not being clear. Just how many clear tripels have you ever seen I'd like to know. Another one was a score sheet where the guy describes all the brett features of my beer... problem being I've never used brett before just a couple of weeks ago LOL.
Hehe, anyway, good job dude. You made an awesome brew for sure!

5First Contest Win Empty Re: First Contest Win Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

36 is actually a really good score. In a lot of competitions, that would have placed. Did you get at least 3rd?

6First Contest Win Empty Re: First Contest Win Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Dimik

Dimik

No, didn't place anything.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum