www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com
www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Using gypsum and/or Burton salts

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Using gypsum and/or Burton salts on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:16 pm

I recently brewed an amber ale and midway through the mash I tested the pH and noticed it was fairly low (around 4.9-5.0). Since I began testing my mash pH I've only brewed lighter ales and have always come up aroun 5.2-5.4. I'm wondering if the change might be due to the presense of darker crystal malts in the amber ale grain bill considering the very soft local water - I'm on the Catskill system in Bklyn. I plan on brewing a chocalate porter and oatmeal stout in the near future and just wondered if any other local brewers are using gypsum and/or Burton salts for darker ales, and more specifically how much do you typically use for a 5-gallon batch? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks Very Happy

View user profile

2 Re: Using gypsum and/or Burton salts on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I measure out ~10g of Burton Salts when I'm lazy and brewing something amber/dark in a German/British/American tradition. I'm not a fan of that mix though, because some things in it are just WAY out of wack. So yeah, only when I'm lazy.
If I brew Belgians (since I care about them so much), or am not feeling lazy, I'll add some gypsum, NaCl, and baking soda. Use a brewing program to see how much you need for the levels you want.
Hope that helps!

View user profile

3 Re: Using gypsum and/or Burton salts on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the info Dimik. I brewed an oatmeal stout yesterday and used a tsp. of Burton salts because that's all I had around the house. My pH came out at roughly 5.2, so it appears to have worked. Thanks again.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum