www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

replacing blow-off with air lock

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1replacing blow-off with air lock Empty replacing blow-off with air lock Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:34 pm

patrickah

I'm in the process of brewing my first beer. I'm about 3 1/2 days into fermentation and fermentation is beginning to slow - it was really crazy for the first 12-48 hours. I'm using a blow-off on a 5 gallon better bottle and plenty of krausen was expelled. I plan on bottling once fg is reached 7-10 days. The blow-off isn't in my way, so is there any reason to replace it with an air lock?

I know to watch out for air suck if moving the bottle, but when I need to move I plan to replace it with a stopper.

Thanks.
Patrick

2replacing blow-off with air lock Empty Re: replacing blow-off with air lock Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:46 pm

bad coffee

The blow off tube is fine, as long as the end is still under water.

Also, if you leave the beer on the yeast a bit longer, the beer will be better. They've done a bunch of side-by-side tests and the beer is better when left a bit longer. There's no worry about autolysis of the yeast in three weeks in the size of fermenters we use.

What'dya brew?

B

3replacing blow-off with air lock Empty Re: replacing blow-off with air lock Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 pm

patrickah

bad coffee wrote:The blow off tube is fine, as long as the end is still under water.

Also, if you leave the beer on the yeast a bit longer, the beer will be better. They've done a bunch of side-by-side tests and the beer is better when left a bit longer. There's no worry about autolysis of the yeast in three weeks in the size of fermenters we use.

What'dya brew?

B
Thanks for the advice, B. I'll leave the blow off in for now. I'll switch to air lock when I start taking hydrometer readings for fg.

As I said, this is my first attempt at brewing. I told the kind folks at Brooklyn Homebrew I like IPAs, but I'd like something easy for my first time through. They helped me pick a recipe, but I'm not sure exactly what style I'll end up with.

My recipe:
3.3 lbs Northwestern Amber LME
3.3 lbs Northwestern Extra Light LME
1 oz. Centennial 10.8 AA pellet boil 60 min
1 oz. Cascade 5.4 AA pellet boil 30 min
1 oz. Amarillo 7.2 AA 1 min
Safale US-05 American Ale Yeast

4replacing blow-off with air lock Empty Re: replacing blow-off with air lock Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Airborneguy

Airborneguy

Looks like a fairly standard American Pale Ale. Might be an IPA, but the amount of hops look more in line with an APA.

5replacing blow-off with air lock Empty Re: replacing blow-off with air lock Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Dimik

Dimik

Looks like a delicious APA to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum