www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com
www.Brooklyn-Homebrew.com

A homebrew discussion board for Brooklyn and beyond!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:14 pm

I started brewing early this year and each time I make a small mistake, though, so far, each brew has come out great. I thought I was mistake free this time while brewing a pal ale, but alas.....

brew went perfect. fermented for 2 weeks. tested gravity and tasted...yummmm. kegged the biatch and put on my new tap from the lovely folks at brooklyn homebrew. so excited, the next day i went down to the basement to take a look...opened the fridge and the FREAKING ENTIRE KEG HAD LEAKED OUT WHERE THE TAP CONNECTS THE KEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lesson: ALWAY TIGHTEN (and double check) SCREWS ON TAP ATTACHMENTS OR GAS ATTACHMENTS. MAKE SURE THEY'RE TIGHT.

View user profile

2Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Bummer!!! But at least you learned a lesson and now you have another reason to brew sooner than later. Hope you didn't waste too much $ on it.

View user profile

3Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm

exactly my friend. already have an IPA fermenting.

no one else has any stupid mistakes they've made we can all learn from?

View user profile

4Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Once you get your attention to detail down, you'll do it without even realizing it. I don't even run through the process in my head anymore, it's second nature. You'll get there... keep brewing!

View user profile

5Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Ouch on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 pm

That's a bummer losing a batch ... which actually I did once, too. I started last January, too. The first time I tried an all DME batch, I didn't apply enough thought to the water / DME ratio, which I had way too low (not enough water for the boil). I carmelized the extract .... since I had only used HME's before this, I didn't recognize the problem quick enough, and actually stank up the house so bad, I never thought the smell of burned sugar, which is awful, would ever go away. It did.

I never made that mistake again. Now, doing a DME hop boil is treat. I love going from the aroma of steeped grain, to malt, to hops. But I'll never forget that first one, which was a nightmare.

I also like the Northwestern extracts in pouch in box, that BHB sells. Nice.

I'm trying AG in a bag for the first time this weekend let's hope I don't screw it up, but after so many batches of great beer, I figure I know enough to avoid major pitfalls, but who knows? What a Face heh heh.

View user profile

6Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread Empty Re: Brewing Pitfalls and Blunders Thread on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:12 am

my first and only fruit beer was in a bottling bucket. the seal broke and started to leak, so i really quick tried to transfer to another bucket. opened it up a week later, frightened, and it was like a solid six inch thick frisbee of mold. instant dumper. bleh.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum